Thursday, 2 September 2010

Laila's first day at Ecole Maternelle


Laila started school today here in France. We did the "pre-inscription" with the Mairie (council) at the start of August so the application for a place was done. We chose the school closest to us and then were told our application/file goes to the school and we can talk to the director on the 1st September when he's back from holidays. So we've been left in suspense a whole month not knowing whether or not Laila was going to start on 2nd Sept or not!

I called Le Directeur yesterday and he said it was fine for her to start today. He explained she would be in a class of 32 children with only 2 adults and advised that I only put her in there for mornings to start with as she's one of the younger ones.

The school system is quite different to the UK so it's difficult to find an equivalent. Ecole Maternelle is part of the infant and/or primary school. French children can normally start in "petite section" from the age of 3. Laila will be 3 in January, and some schools will take them earlier if they have the space and the child is potty trained. Laila is now one of 5 children in "Tres petite section" in the class with 27 "petite section".

A little excerpt from Wikipedia:

France

In France, pre-school is known as école maternelle (French for "nursery school"). State-run, free maternelle schools are available throughout the country, welcoming children aged from 2 to 5 (although in many places, children under three may not be granted a place). The ages are divided into Grande section (GS: 5 year olds), Moyenne section (MS: 4 year olds), Petite section(PS: 3 year olds) and Toute petite section (TPS: 2 year olds). It is not compulsory, yet almost 100% of children aged 3 to 5 attend. It is regulated by the municipalities (as the primary school).


She was attending nursery in the UK before we left, going 3 full days a week. So she is used to a lot of stimulation and activity outside the home. We didn't want to get her started in a creche or with a childminder here only for her to have to change to school next year. And I didn't want her to get used to being at home too long as it would be even harder getting her used to school again.

Plus the big "pull" is that this is all FREE!! They go to school 4 days a week at this age, primary schools are not open on Wednesdays. So as Laila is just doing mornings, she is attending 8.45-11.45am on Mon, Tues, Thurs & Fri. This leaves me with enough time to get some jobs done at home and have some time alone with Max, freeing up my afternoons with Laila to take her to the park or the beach etc.

So back to this morning, after all this build up and me really wanting her to go, I cried last night before going to sleep and this morning when I woke and I felt physically sick all morning!

She was excited about going, but as soon as we got there she was not letting me go! I just followed the other parents in, there were 2 class rooms and I found her name on the list outside and a peg with her name on. So I showed her where we were putting her bag. I also took her to the loos before we went into the classroom but she didn't do anything.
One of my main worries, was that even though she is potty trained she might start having accidents again as she has done a lot recently.

The school toilets were really easy to use, they were so tiny Laila can sit on them on her own, reach the paper and flush it. I think they do regular trips to the loo in groups, so they must get used to doing a wee at certain times. I'm not sure Laila actually did one at school, I think she held onto it for home! She didn't have any accidents today though, thank god!

The teacher was checking off names as we went in, some parents let their children go in and went home, others went into the classroom and stayed for a little bit. Some children had been in the same class last year as they knew each other and the Maitresse. The teacher saw that Laila wasn't ready to let me go yet, so she said I could stay with her for a little bit, I just didn't know how long that meant.

There were puzzles on each table, so Laila chose somewhere to sit and I sat with her and did those. I waited a good ten mins, all the while talking to Laila and explaining that I would be going home soon and would be back for her before lunch. But the teachers still weren't finished welcoming the children in, I didn't know how long I could stay for so thought I should head off. Then Laila asked to go to the loo again, so I took her, she still didn't do anything. And this time when I took her back to the classroom I was encouraged to leave her, I did it quickly, like ripping off a plaster! She screamed and started crying when she saw me go and I started welling up too! There were already about 4 kids still crying from when their mums had left and there were other mums wiping their tears away too!
I cried all the way home in the car, and when I got home to my mum who was looking after Max for me. She did her best distracting me at home, then we went shopping and after that it was time to pick Laila up again.

There were a lot of others being picked up at lunchtime too, I queued outside with the other parents, then when we were let inside the children going home were lined up with their bags and coats. The teacher let them out one by one when she could see the parents. Laila was right at the back, I could see her but she hadn't seen me, she looked lost and worried, I just wanted to push past everyone and go get her, but I waited patiently.
She seemed happy enough but a bit quiet at first and told me she'd had fun playing outside. The teacher said she was fine after the initial crying which was normal. They played outside, sang songs etc and Laila did speak some french to them.

The lack of information at school is incredible compared to a nursery, its going to be hard to get used to. At nursery the key worker is happy to chat for 5 or 10 mins about each child, I know this is because they have more staff. Also you get chance to tell nursery workers about what your child likes and dislikes and what they've been doing at home etc. Its a big shock as nothing will now be tailored to Laila's likes or needs, she'll just have to get on the same as everyone else! I'm fully aware that this is normal, its just we haven't had anything inbetween the 2 extremes, so its a shock to the system really.

Anyway, she says she is happy to go back tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes. I hope she doesn't cry everyday as its heartbreaking! She was never a crier at nursery so I'm not used to it!

So my baby girl grows up a little bit more, its so sad but I'm really proud of her. She has been chatting away in French all day with Grandma and I, so it really won't be long before French overtakes English...

No comments: