Laila went to her first "mini-baby" gym class on Wednesday. Apparently it started 2 weeks ago, I think we were first on the waiting list so someone must not have turned up. The teacher (I use that term loosely) is off sick till November, so up till then there are 2 ladies alternating taking the class. Sylvie did it this week and we both really liked her.
Laila has done a gym class back in Bath before, as some of you know. However we had to stop going as she developed a very strong fear of the man that owned the place, it was very strange (nothing sinister please don't worry she was with me the whole time). He never spoke to her but he frightened her once when he pulled a large curtain across the room, it was behind her and made a huge noise startling her. She was only just 2 at the time and when a toddler develops a fear it is extremely difficult to talk them out of it you just have to be patient. The following 2 weeks after this incident, she would burst into tears if she saw him and the time after that she just refused point blank to go any further than the changing rooms. I was 38 weeks pregnant with Max then so was quietly relieved that we didn't have to go anymore! She still remembers this now, I've never brought the subject up, but she will sometimes say "do you remember when..." and talk about it.
Anyway, back to this new gym class, I was a little worried that she might not like it for whatever reason, and as there is very little else for her to do here I've been pinning my hopes on this class. It started badly with the parachute (something they have in a lot of nurseries and classes for babies and toddlers), a large colourful circular piece of material which everyone sits round and you hold on and flap it up and down. Children can play on it or under it, and normally there is singing involved. Laila has never really liked this activity, so she refused to hold on to it and just stood there with a fed up look on her face, and her arms sagging (like Kevin the teenager!) saying "mummy i'm not singing", "mummy i'm not dancing"! So I sang and danced anyway which peeved her even more!
After that they were allowed onto the equipment, very much like Baskervilles in Bath for those of you who know it. Soft play type stuff, and a circuit was set up. So they do climbing, balancing on a beam, crawling over monkey bars, forward rolls down the ramps and climbing up the wall bars to ring the bell, oh and the trampoline! Laila was in her element and ended up being the one showing the others how to do it! As it's a class for those born in 2008 (everything is done by the year they are born here and not by age, so they don't say its for 2yr olds, they say its for the class of 2008), Laila is January born so she was most likely the oldest there.
Baby Max was sat in his car seat tucked in the corner, but he became part of the circuit for every 2 yr old to stop and play with! At least that kept him amused!! I don't know what I'll do with him when he's on the move though, he'll want to be joining in!
We played throwing and catching with balls next, then Laila needed a wee. So when we came back it was relaxing time, they played a lullaby and everyone had to lie down with legs under the parachute for a rest. Everyone except Laila, "I'm not resting mummy"!
She did not want to leave at the end, and is really looking forward to next week!
No comments:
Post a Comment