Tuesday, 21 September 2010

6 months - how time flies!

My baby boy turned 6 months old this week, I want to say "how time flies" but for once, as so much as happened since then I think, it does actually feel like 6 months has passed.

The strange thing is trying to remember what life was like before he came along, that I struggle with!

He is our little ray of sunshine who lights up every room with an enormous smile, I find strangers in the street smiling at me, then I realise he is shooting them a winning grin from the front carrier and nobody can resist smiling right back at him. It's certainly a conversation starter!

He has a very strong character, he is easy-going in some respects in that he's so happy as long as he has someone or something to play with or look at. But the minute you put him somewhere that's out of the action he lets you know about it! He's started banging his legs up and down in the cot at nap-time and almost bouncing out of it, I wonder if its because he's protesting at being there or it's just another new trick that he's practising. He enjoys shrieking and screaming too, thinks the noises he learns from his sister are very funny. I have yet to hear any Ga-Ga or Ba-Ba sounds from him as the books say he will this month, I think he's moving straight onto toddler speak!

He's sitting really well now on his own, which he's so pleased about, he can get to so many more toys that way. He did get a black eye last week though when he reached a little too far for the stacking cups and fell face first on top of them. Boy did I feel bad when it swelled up :-(. He is trying desperately to crawl, whenever he gets a chance he is pulling his legs up and then lifting himself up onto his arms. It'll be a while yet but the desire is there!

He LOVES the TV, which is only on when Laila is around, and not all the time I hasten to add. But he is a big fan of Dora, Peppa Pig, Maisy and My Little Pony (yes that is on DVD and we all love it!).

We're well and truly into weaning onto solids now. I've just added breakfast to his day, so that's 3 meals he's having as well as all his milk. I've just done some batch cooking today involving roasted pumpkin, steamed courgettes and sauteed leeks and green beans, not all in the same recipe, but am sure the little dishes will be delicious and well received!
At the same time I am attempting to wean him from breast to bottle with mixed success. Sometimes he doesn't take much from a bottle, but it's difficult to know if that's because he's ready to cut a milk feed out or if he just doesn't want to drink from it. He waits nicely till his next feed though so it must be the prior. This is a difficult month a lot of changes have to be made to his routine to get him onto the right number of bottles/milk feeds and meals and at the right times. Once he is eating the same foods and at the same time as Laila, life maybe a little bit easier.

Actually I don't know why I am thinking they will eat the same foods, it would be an absolute miracle if Laila decided to eat anything other than her repertoire of 3 or 4 meals! I am really hoping that once Max's food resembles something she could eat (i.e. not puree) then she might be tempted!
My darling daughter would live on baguette with butter, yoghurts, and spaghetti bolognese if she was allowed to! Oh and the odd chocolate thrown in now and again!

Actually he's waking right now for a feed so I will leave it there....xxx

No comments: