Thursday, 11 November 2010

Max on the move

There is certainly no rest for the wicked!
We had just reached a point where Laila and Max would sit nicely on the rug together and play with their toys, this lasted all of a few weeks. Then Max decided he would try to explore further afield, he started by bum shuffling, then crawling backwards and now he has mastered crawling forwards! He is so happy to reach the TV cables, the pot plants (he spilled one over yesterday) and any food Laila has left lying around, I now have to be on full alert!! He can also pull himself up to standing if it means he'll reach something else new.
Francois and I need to get on and "Max-proof" the house, ASAP! It's not the same as the baby-proofing we did for Laila, this house has different dangers, there are no doors to shut to the kitchen for example. I see now the difference between boys and girls, I thought Laila was active and inquisitive but Max really is into EVERYTHING! He doesn't give up until he's got it either, he is constantly on the go.
Luckily we have a playpen, I know a lot of people don't agree with them, and I didn't until I had children! It didn't get much use with Laila to be honest, as our living room was carpeted and pretty safe. But here with the hard floors, open plan and the boisterous big sister to watch out for the playpen can be a safe haven! We've positioned it so that he can see me in the kitchen and everyone passing by, and he actually is very happy in there. Don't get me wrong he's not in there all the time, and if he gets upset then we take him out. It's actually in the playpen that he learned to pull himself up, as it has wooden bars to hold on to.

When we look back at our videos of what Laila was doing at his age, she was also on the move but she was a roller. She wasn't pulling herself up till 8 months and didn't learn to crawl until around 9 months. At this rate Max will be walking at 9 months!

No comments: