So today I was relieved to get out of the house and into the real world (well the supermarket) to be pleasantly greeted with the view of a much worse mother than I!
I know I shouldn't judge other Mothers, and I normally give the benefit of the doubt, but this was one of those really verbally loud Mothers shouting at her children in public, any sensible Mother knows you should only do that in your own home where no-one else can see you! (Or is that very English of me?!) And to add insult to injury (literally), when her little
Anyway, back to my mothering skills, I definitely need more patience and more time to recharge my batteries, I've come across a few lovely quotes that cheered me up today:
"Patience can't be acquired overnight. It is just like building up a muscle. Every day you need to work on it." Eknath Easwaran
"You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance." ~Franklin P. Jones
and my favourite
"If there were no schools to take the children away from home part of the time, the insane asylums would be filled with mothers." ~Edgar W. Howe
p.s. only 24 days of the school holidays left, not that I'm counting!!
5 comments:
Mich you might be really shocked if you observe some of the parenting styles here in Glasgow! Mums here have no issues with shouting and cursing at their children's to get them to behave and of course these children just respond by screaming even louder. I noticed a mum in the play park doing it once with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth...lovely!
PS Please do not spoil my image of you being "supermum" or how else am I going to cope Lol!
Sorry Bri, I spared the details of how I can be a terrible mother. I'm having a better day today though, I have one simple goal for the day and it's not to shout!
I'd say I'm guilty of the yelling in public, but I'd rather give her a stern talking to than "whip her soundly". I agree about patience. especially with three-year olds. It's a different kind of tiredness than with the eighteen monthers but I admire you for raising two in those very difficult age groups!
just to be clear if one of my children did something really naughty or dangerous in public then of course I would give them a good talking to. However this was a mum who never let up and constantly talks to her children that way!
I'm def not quick to judge but I saw one recently too at a bday party that made me cringe. The poor kid couldn't make a move without his mom yelling at him in front of all the other parents and kids and at one point she hit him for getting white stuff all over his face. Apparently he had leaned on a white washed wall and then wiped his face with his hand. Quite the crime in her eyes. I think on our worst days we're not THAT bad.
Post a Comment