It was the last day of school for Laila today, she's now off till 3rd January. Normally I would complain and wish her to be at school more, but hey it's Christmas we've lots planned and she is very tired of school at the moment so obviously needs a good break. The school run is actually more tiring than having her at home all day anyway, so I guess I get a good break too!!! Today's journey to school was particularly challenging. It snowed at about 7.30am, we left for school an hour later and the hill down was very slow moving, it took us 20mins instead of the usual 5mins and Laila didn't get to say "Weee" as Mummy flew down the hill!!! We negotiated the unsalted paths to school, with a babe in arms and nearly broke my neck. One teacher wasn't there yet and so all kids were in one classroom, I hesitated about leaving Laila as it was still snowing and she was there for the morning. So I wondered if I would even be able to come back in a few hours. Anyway I did leave her there and made my way home with Max. I have since found out that while I was inside the school, it wasn't snow falling but ICE, so when I attempted to drive back up the hill to our home it was no wonder I was skidding all over the place and not really getting anywhere! To cut a long story short, I did get home, albeit quite traumatised and shaken but the skidding and revving seemed to soothe Max and send him to sleep!
It continued to snow and there was no way I was driving up that hill again in it, so I left Max with my neighbour/childminder and set off for Laila on foot. On my not so nice walk down the slippy footpath I realised the road was clear now and all the cars were driving just fine, but it was too late to turn back for my car. I explained my story to a mum I know at school and luckily, really luckily she offered to drive us home. Laila was demanding to know where Max was, why I didn't have our car and more curiously why I had a backpack on!!! So we got home safe and sound and I spent a nice afternoon in doors playing Row Row your boat with both kiddies!!!
Oh and the lovely thing about my neighbour who is also Max's childminder is that she doesn't want to charge me for today. She told me that although she is a childminder, she is also a neighbour and was happy to help me out today under the circumstances!
No comments:
Post a Comment